There’s nothing quite like kicking back with a good summer shandy … except maybe sipping on Berres Brothers Lemon Shandy Cold Brew. Featuring a light hint of lemon and astonishing smoothness, our Lemon Shandy Coffee offers balanced flavor and makes a perfect ice-cold brew for a summer afternoon.
But, sometimes you get a craving for cold brew in the morning and could use some breakfast to go along with it (or a sweet snack in the afternoon). In that case, we’ve got your back with this tasty recipe for lemon-filled blueberry muffins, which we use right here at Berres Brothers and serve in our café.
Lemon-Filled Blueberry Muffins Recipe
Ingredients for Muffin
2 cups flour
¾ cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
Pinch of salt
3 oz. cubed cream cheese
2 tsp. lemon zest
2 tsp. vanilla
4 tbsp. melted butter
½ cup buttermilk
1 cup fresh blueberries tossed with 1 tbsp. of flour (can use frozen if desired. Do not thaw)
Ingredients for Lemon Filling
(Makes enough for a double batch; reserve extra for future batch.)
4 lemons, juiced and zested
1 1/2 cups of water
2 tbsp. lemon juice (in addition to above)
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 3/4 cup sugar
Instructions for Muffins
- Combine flour, sugar baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a processor, combine cream cheese, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla. Add butter and buttermilk. Process until smooth.
- Add flour to mixture and mix until combined (don’t overmix).
- Stir in blueberries.
Instructions for Lemon Filling
- Combine lemon juice, zest, and water in microwave-safe bowl and heat for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar, additional lemon juice, and cornstarch.
- Microwave for another 5 minutes.
- Fill each muffin cup half full.
- Add 1 tablespoon of lemon filling in the center of each muffin.
- Add additional batter to each cup until 3/4 full.
- Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Note: The lemon filling will melt, adding flavor and moisture to the muffin, but if you prefer, you can bake muffins and add the filling to the center after baking.
Flavor Your Day
We hope you’ll love pairing this recipe with Berres Brothers Lemon Shandy Cold Brew. If you’d like more unique Berres Brothers coffee flavors or non-flavored varieties, browse all of our offerings and start your vacation from the ordinary.
< Back to Blog